Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Conscious

Life from the Center is a life of unhurried peace and power. It is simple. It is serene. It is amazing. It is triumphant. It is radiant. It takes no time, but it occupies all our time. And makes our life programs new and overcoming.
- Thomas Kelly

I'm not really on vacation, but life has felt much more like a vacation recently. We'll see how long it keeps up. It's not all a lack of work, because (for instance) I worked about 12 hours yesterday. But life just isn't so stressful or rushed like it was. I do what I need to, but I can "stop and smell the roses" along the way.

I'm reading a really great book right now called "Freedom of Simplicity" by Richard Foster. I am being challenged in the way I live, think, and understand simplicity. One of the parts of the book I read recently spoke of Frank Laubach's "Game with Minutes." In this "game" Frank would see how many minutes out of an hour he could be conscious of God's presence. Every day in his journal he'd put "Conscious 25%" or "Conscious 70%" etc. He would figure out what percentage of his day he was actually actively being conscious of God. It's an amazing and convicting challenge, one that even the mention of would send many of us downcast, due to the fact that we realize how seemingly unavoidably distracted we are to God throughout the majority of our day, and therefore life. I know for me, it's a blessing if I randomly remember to thank God for being good, while I drive mindlessly to my next appointment from time to time.

I want to challenge myself to this task. I want to take such a task seriously if I should attempt it. Coming into mental preparation, I realize to be conscious would mean to severely lessen or eliminate the mind-dulling substances of our modern age. It means an effort to turn the TV from sketch comedy, sitcoms, and pointless fictional dramas. Or better yet, to turn the TV off. It means putting a bridle on my mind, and training it to focus. It means dominating my laziness and turning it into purposed action, that feeds simplicity.

Is it pathetic that all of these seem like too much and make me want to scratch the idea?

Now I'm not saying I can never watch TV, even pointless TV. I'm not saying I can't zone out and think of nothing (since that's definitely a good thing from time to time). But what I am saying is this, we are more overboard than we realize in our distractions. Our minds are shutting down to the extent that we (me included) are oblivious to it. Just ask those who have trained their minds, they'll give you evidences of how far we've drifted into LaLa Land.

If God occupies all of heaven and earth, shouldn't he occupy my thoughts as well? Would I not benefit from a closer relationship with the Guy who has it all under His control? Would I not be a more effective minister to the Gospel if I allowed His Word to permeate all my actions, in a living and conscious manner?

As it is, there is division. There is time for what God wants, and time for what Steve wants. I know this is wrong, but I am very content with it... until I wake myself up. Until I reminisce the sweet taste of eternity, I am content in my blissful ignorance. Try the challenge. See how conscious of God you can be throughout the day. Be diligent in your attempts and see how things improve.

No comments: